Latest Trending News

4 Online Gaming Categories to Try in 2021

0

Online gaming has always been a lucrative field but last year’s increased online activity has only accelerated the market’s growth. In fact, the latest State of Online Gaming survey found that roughly 25% of the active players online were new to the scene, while the remaining 75% participated in online games more frequently. Incidentally, online games are divided into many genres and variants, such as high fantasy and battle arena. There’s a good chance that you probably haven’t tried everything online gaming has to offer, so we’re here to introduce you to some new categories to try.

Party games

imge01

Credit: BagoGames licensed under CC BY 2.0

Online party games are a great way to bond with a large group of friends. There are a bunch of them too depending on the type of games you enjoy, from trivia games like You Don’t Know Jack to word games like Scrabble Go. You can even choose to work together in co-op games like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. Many of these titles need to be downloaded from a gaming platform like Steam, but there are several browser-based games to choose from as well, such as Skribbl.io.

Card games

image002

Credit: World Poker Tour licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0

If you’re looking for quick games, card games are a great category to explore. For example, you could learn to play fantasy card games like Magic: The Gathering Arena and Hearthstone. There are even unique variants like Slay the Spire, which combine cards with other gaming elements like dungeon crawling.

Of course, if you’re interested in traditional card games like poker then there are plenty of options available for that as well. In fact, according to a beginners’ guide to poker by Poker.org, there are three main poker variants for you to explore: Texas Hold’em, Five Card Draw, and Omaha. Texas Hold’em is the most common variant played online; its goal is to make the best hand using two cards given to you and three out of the five cards on the table. Other 52-card deck games like online Blackjack are also fun to try.

Co-op horror

image03

Credit: Arnaud Ligny licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0

Horror games really get the heart racing when played alone but spooky adventures with your friends are equally exciting. Most co-op horror games are usually accompanied by a “survival” narrative like Left 4 Dead 2 and Dead by Daylight, where the goal is to work together. However, there are also paranormal investigation games like Phasmophobia where the goal is to run towards unspeakable evils. You can take a look at Gamesradar.com’s horror gaming posts and other guides if you need help but the experience will be much more enjoyable if you explore them without doing your research beforehand.

MOBA

 

image04

Credit: Whelsko licensed under CC BY 2.0

MOBA is a subcategory of strategy online games where players create teams and go up against opposing teams in a battle setting. If you’re feeling brave, you can even do solo battles. However, it’s important to understand that because it’s a “battle royal,” you’ll be going against four to five teams.

MOBAs will always have an MMORPG element where each player can be built to have a unique set of characteristics (such as skills, weapons, features) depending on what kind of role you want to play. For instance, “junglers” often have very fast skills and light builds, allowing them to spring surprise attacks in locations with a lot of hiding spots. PUBG is the undisputed king of MOBA, with over 600 million downloads on mobile and a fifth of that number on PC. DOTA 2 is also a good option, as it was formed after Warcraft III — a real-time strategy classic in gaming history.

There are many online games for you to choose from and many more that you can use to socialize. To choose one, simply think about your preferred genres and playstyle.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.